Monday, April 13, 2009

Mmm...makin' babies...


Well, plant babies, anyway.

If you've ever been to my house, you know I keep it cold in the winter. Sure, you can see your breath, and the frigid air will likely bring on yet another of your coughing spells, but just look at my heating bill! Assuming you can grasp it with your rapidly-numbing digits.

What I'm getting at is that tomatoes and peppers need warmth to germinate. And it's pretty obvious that a person as cheap as me isn't going to shell out for a fancy heated germination mat. So about me I cast mine eyes, and they came to rest...on a cheap-ass foam cooler.



Ding! Just add a quart jar of hot tap water morning and night, and you have the perfect, temperature-controlled enclosure. At the first sign of green, the new seedlings will be placed under grow lights and learn to deal with the realities of my chilly little house. But for now they're almost living the good life in their foam-clad Margaritaville. Lucky little bastages...

1 comment: