Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring...it's what's for dinner!

It's been a tough winter. I mean as tough as wimps like us Pacific Northwesterners ever see. Temps in the single digits, seven*TEEN* inches of snow. Pity us, oh folks with actual weather. We're just not built for this.

But now it's feeling spring-ish. I'm desperately trying to think about considering setting aside some time to ponder getting my garden together. But in the indefinite interim, I'll scrounge. Last night the man-friend and I went to visit a friend of ours. Her housemate had harvested a large quantity of tender spring stinging nettles (Urtica dioica, for those keeping score at home). I have fond memories of nettle-eatin' from my misspent youth in Alaska, but I haven't harvested any from my home "stash" (they're related to marijuana, you know). So today I picked a bunch:



I steamed 'em thoroughly, combined them with a half-dozen eggs, some fresh parmesan, a few chopped basil leaves, and a diced avocado. This I poured into an oiled glass dish and baked at 350 until all puffy and pretty-looking. Thus was created my first Nettle Frittata:



Which is not to be confused with Nelly Furtado:



This is an important distinction, as frittatas (in all likelihood) originated in Spain, while Furtado is Portuguese. Both nations get surly when their identities are conflated.

3 comments:

  1. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Thanks for the clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon as my back in out of out of whack, we are off to the marsh to get nettles for making BEER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! What are the odds of us making nettle frittatas exactly a year apart?

    ReplyDelete